> Richard Li wrote:
> > You should also watch for the latest and greatest
> > misnomer:  Knowledge Management Systems.  "CMS"
> > seems to be more and more uncool in marketese.
> > <snip>

James Robertson replied:
> As a "knowledge management consultant", this is my
> somewhat pragmatic view on these terms:
>
> * You can't have a "knowledge management system".
> Doesn't exist.
>
> * We help in implementing "content management
> systems" to meet specific business needs.
>
> * "Knowledge management" is then the supporting
> non-technological activities (people, processes)
> around the CMS implementation.
>    KM also looks to the broader strategic and
> cultural contexts.

Thank you, James.

I'd like to buy you a drink for saying that so
clearly.

While I must admit that I don't "own" these terms,
I'm pretty anal when it comes to term usage.  I just
want terms to make sense and be used consistently, or
I get all confused (sadly, I get confused very
easily).  Yes, it's true these terms are constantly
being redefined by industry (it's a young industry
and a hard problem, and we don't all share the same
Venn diagram for agreement on what these terms
*should* mean).

However, I feel compelled (in my anal way) to assert:

*Content* is measurable, and *knowledge* is not.

*Content* is tangible, and *knowledge* is not.

*Content* is reviewable by diverse interested parties,
and *knowledge* is not.

*Content* can be agreed upon by two or more people,
and *knowledge* can not.

The key issue is that *content* is an expression
of understanding, while *knowledge* is an
internalization of understanding by ONE person (and
WITHIN one person).

Therefore, no software system can "manage"
*knowledge*, but rather, it *can* manage *content*.
To say otherwise would be to defy so much theory in
so many fields far beyond what we geeks here like to
consider when discussing solution pragmatics.

Even if we go deep into the field of "Test Psychology"
with the guys that bring us the GRE and SAT, we're
talking about _measuring_ *knowledge of content*.
Moreover, we're talking about *specific content*.
Even after a few hours of answering chemistry
questions, we *did not* measure your knowledge of
*chemistry*, but rather measured (with some degree
of error) your specific understanding of specific
content, which we hope is sufficiently representative
to extrapolate an overall assessment of your overall
understanding of the field.

Thus, I agree with James that there is no such thing
now or ever that could legitimately be considered
a "knowledge management system", unless your use of
"system" does NOT mean "software", but rather
represents a web of processes, like, "the human
digestive system" (don't forget to include enzyme
regulation through genetic and environmental
factors).  ;-)

However, on the more promising front of "content
management systems", it's quite possible to do the
document management thing (100 Word docs and 200
PDF files) and digital asset management thing
(300 high-resolution images and videos, plus 2200
derived images and videos in different resolutions
and formats) and e-learning thing (chemistry
database with 1300 questions and 212 assembled tests)
and forum thing (emails logged by person, date,
thread, and discussion group) and publishing thing
(pages updated once a week with a "mailto:"; link
automatically inserted at the bottom of each), and
whatever.

I don't *at all* disagree with vendors using the
term "knowledge management", as I completely agree
with James' use.  Knowledge management is real; it
just applies to something much bigger and less
tangible than content management.  I just don't
believe "knowledge management" is reasonably applied
to software products.  As Richard seems to be correct
that "knowledge management" is applied to software
with increasingly popularity, I must dare to hold out
say, "Nee!" in that general direction.

If somebody out there can give me a quantitative
measure of "tacit knowledge", I'll drop my assertion.
;-)

--charley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]