What is CMS?

No one until now know what is Really CMS
Some vendors provides application for web site management or page management
and they think they are providing CMS
When you see a system that only give you the ability to create pages
depending on Template and, manage the created pages, you are working with
design or HTML editing tool
If you see, in addition to that, a Workflow and authorization that can be
assigned to these pages, you are working with web or pages management tool

But if you see a system that work with content elements and give you the
ability to use or re-use these content elements to create different type of
content blocks that can be used to create different format of unlimited
number of pages with workflow and authorization assigned to them, you are
working with CMS

And also, if you see a system that in addition to all above enables you to
create personalization and content delivery, you are working with
extended-CMS or portal solution

This is CMS

CMS must help you define you content elements as you need
CMS must help you sharing and publishing information in different format
CMS must help you create as many pages as you want form specific content
element
CMS help users create and edit  content NOT  pages
CMS Create Pages from content NOT content from Pages
 CMS Manage the pages that are created by CMS itself NOT by user
CMS provide Workflow and authorization in the content element itself NOT in
Pages

Thanks

Emad Sarhan
Tech Manager - Arab IT