From: Austin, Darrel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 2:19 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [cms-list] new to list/cm - What is CMS?????

Is this an issue of human nature, or simply learned behavior?

I agree that content should be content...devoid of any specific
presentation
initially. I also agree that many content authors have trouble grasping
that.

So, I guess is more of a theoretical type question: why is that?

Is it that content authors aren't properly acquainted with the new
concept
of content autonomy?

Is it a remnant of our past (ie, we are used to paper documents)?

Is it only natural behavior to want to build a 'page' vs. content?

I've worked at newspapers before and that was the closest I had come to
'raw
content' and it didn't seem to be overly difficult for anyone to
understand.
Writers wrote simple text devoid of presentation. Copysetters did the
presentation and layout.

In an office environment, it's different, of course, but I'd like to
throw
out the argument that having authors fully understand the concept of
seperating their content completely from any presentational structure is
critical concept to grasp for the content management system/process to
work
properly.

Thoughts?

-Darrel