And a physical record, otherwise known as a block is the type of record
to which I was referring. The count field, the C of CKD, that has zeros
for both the key and the data lengths is what signals an empty block,
er, physical record.

I would be very surprised if CMS ever wrote such a record in either file
system. That would destroy the formatting of the remainder of the track
because Write CKD is a formatting write.

Regards,
Richard Schuh