I often use FANOUT with a single output to keep complete pipe sections close
to each other in my Rexx code.
    '|    XLATE 5 _ x',            /* Preselect it */
    '|JK: FANINANY',
    '|LJK: LOOKUP 7.8 1.8 DETAIL',
    '|STEP2: FANOUT',
    '?StrLiteral X'c2x(to)'|SPLIT|PAD 8',  /* Take the systems */
    '|LJK:',
    '?STEM UnSelSystem.',
    '|JK:',  /* Pass not selected systems to main stream */
    '?LJK:',  /* Pass not found systems to REXX */
    '|JOIN * / /|CHANGE //System(s) not found: /',
    '|APPEND LITERAL',
    '|VAR EMSG',
    '?STEP2:'
The FANOUT labeled STEP2, makes I can overview the pipe section displayed
above in a single XEDIT screen.  FANOUT shorts itself out
when it detects it serves only a single output streeam.  So almost no
overhead and my long pipes are easier to read/maintain.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support