I must say I was surprized by John's example: he uses 1 as **machine** print
control character, 1 is ASA in my eyes.  But, as is was John's suggestion, I
didn't dare to correct/object.

Maybe try this:  '|LITERAL' c2x(8B) space(line),
(no promises, but X'8B' is "Skip to channel 1 Immediate" following my
yellow  S/370 reference card

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support