On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Larson, John E. <jolar...@visa.com> wrote:

> My apologies as well if the "tone" in my wording sounded offensive.
> I thought that I have picked apart the index and help files and author's help
> files pretty well.
> I never referred to NETDATA files, I was purely commenting on the apparently
> only one option for reading a VMARC FILE, which requires two full reads of
> the data, one for VMARC UNPK, and then another to actually read the unpacked
> file.  Tone??  Guess that I'm happy that I only have to read VMARC files only
> twice, considering things could always be worse, I'm pleased that I don't
> have to re-read VMARC files 3 or 4 times before I'm actually processing the
> data...

You're right about VMARC - it just never happened. I did look at the
VMARC code in the past, but was distracted by real work pretty quick.
I guess I mostly use VMARC to transfer a bunch of files, not to peel
records out of one of the members...
It's not very exciting either because there's no index in them, so you
read it sequentially anyway. I did something in the past to get at
least a listing of the files in it (VMARC LIST does not show the time
stamp that I wanted to compare with what's on disk). From there I
generate VMARC UNPACK commands for the files I wanted to get.