I'd like to split records to fit the width of a page, screen,
whatever.  Rules:

Records not exceeding the maximum allowable width are passed
to the output unmodified.

Longer records are split at word boundaries if possible.  Text
not at the split point is not modified (multiple blanks are not
compressed, etc.)

If a word is longer than the maximum allowable width, it is
broken into pieces of the maximum allowable width.

(Most of these can be ignored if necessary.  But a file with
no oversize records should pass the filter unmodified.)

SPLIT and CHOP don't seem to do quite what I want, but perhaps
I just don't know how to use them.

Thanks,
gil