I have an application in which my input takes the form of atoms separated
by slashes. For example:

a/b/c or d/e/f/g or even h/i/j/k/l

That is, the number of atoms delimited by slashes varies.

>From each input I need to generate "n" variants, where "n" equals the
number of slashes.

For example, for a/b/c, I need to generate a/V/b/c and a/b/V/c.

For d/e/f/g I need d/V/e/f/g, d/e/V/f/g and d/e/f/V/g.

For h/i/j/k/l I need h/V/i/j/k/l, h/i/V/j/k/l, h/i/j/V/k/l and h/i/j/k/V/l.

and so on ...

More generally I suppose I can characterize the problem as the need to
output a variant consisting of the original input with a constant-value
field inserted after every field in the input except the last.

Thoughts on how best to do this?

This will need to be inserted into an existing pipeline that has some
pretty hairy things going on already and so it will be important to avoid
things that might end up causing stalls. Off the top of my head it doesn't
seem as though a solution to this would introduce any delays, but I admit
to being a bit fuzzy on that even after all these years.
--
bc