Hi guys,
Once again need some guidance on what to do.

Have a couple of files:
Master is variable length with variable start position & key length. Key is the
second word of the record.
Detail is fixed length (of course) with variable length key.
Both files are sorted
1) I need to match both files based on the key.
Thought about using Collate or Lookup but failed to find the parameters to
specify the word separator character. Also couldn’t find the way to specify a
variable length on the key.
Question. Is there a way to do this with Lookup or Collate? Or what should I
use instead?

2) The eight word of the Master record there is a date (might be missing) that
I need to compare with the one from the Detail file. Take the greatest one to
update the one in the master. I am thinking on using Pick for the compare.
Although not sure I can use Pick to compare fields from different files. SPECS
might be?

Any idea how I can solve this?
Yes, I know… I should be taking that selfstudy course Kris suggested first. :)
Thanks guys…

Miguel