In saving an example for myself, I thought I'd reproduce NUMBER FROM
using a counter, given that:

> NUMBER is a convenience; the same  result  can  be  obtained  by
> incrementing a counter.

How the heck do I set a nonzero initial value?  I thought BREAK FIRST
would fit the bill, but that doesn't come before the first record unless
I delay the record by SELECT SECOND.  I could put IF #0=0 up front, but
if the initial value is negative I'd need a second counter to keep track
so I don't reset it again when it hits zero.

¬R