On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 22:42:01 +0100, you wrote:
>My apologies. I overlooked your secondary input for elastic, but I am still
>trying to figure out what you were trying to do :-)

You just have to imagine the argument to LOOKUP and what other stages
might follow it!  I'm following a chain of references, matching one word
in the detail record with another in the master, smashing them together,
and feeding the result back to match again.  Maybe I've just always
started with a specific list of detail records and never tried to chain
up the whole file at once before.

¬R