On 2019-06-14 6:38 AM, John P. Hartmann wrote:
> 17 Dec 1997  +++ VERIFY NOT.

Aha, that was enough to point me in the archive to where I made the
request in PIPELINE CFORUM in the first place.  Never-publicized MATCH
got changed to NOT but without swapping the polarity, and then it was
ditched because LOCATE ANYOF already provided the same function--which,
obviously, I still never remember!

¬R

----- PIPELINE CFORUM appended at 23:19:34 on 97/12/16 GMT (by GSKNICK
at PKMFGVM3)
Re:   VERIFY NOT

    Sure would be nice if I could specify a small set of forbidden
characters for VERIFY, instead of having to specify the whole allowed
character set!

                                  --Glenn

----- PIPELINE CFORUM appended at 23:54:33 on 97/12/16 GMT (by IL15657
at EHONE7)
..... PIPELINE CFORUM modified at 00:13:53 on 97/12/17 GMT (by IL15657
at EHONE7)

----- PIPELINE CFORUM appended at 00:15:51 on 97/12/17 GMT (by GSKNICK
at PKMFGVM3)
..... PIPELINE CFORUM modified at 00:21:47 on 97/12/17 GMT (by GSKNICK
at PKMFGVM3)
Re:   VERIFY NOT
Ref:  Append at 23:54:33 on 97/12/16 GMT (by IL15657 at EHONE7)

Oh!  That's exactly what I had in mind (but backwards, of course).

| The undocumented "VERIFY dstring MATCH", that is.
| (Dunno why Melinda deleted that append!)
| Since it's not documented yet, John, how about adding the more
| easily explained NOT and documenting that instead?
| "VERIFY NOT dstring" would act like "NOT VERIFY dstring MATCH".

                             Thanks--
                                  ¬R

----- PIPELINE CFORUM appended at 00:37:52 on 97/12/17 GMT (by IL15657
at EHONE7)
Subject: VERIFY NOT
Ref:     Append at 00:15:51 on 97/12/17 GMT (by GSKNICK at PKMFGVM3)

I deleted it because it was wrong.  :-)

Without the undocumented MATCH keyword, "verify" selects records that
contain only the characters in the reference (the argument string).

With MATCH specified, "verify" selects records that contain any of
the characters in the reference.

Melinda Varian, Princeton University (meli...@princeton.edu)

----- PIPELINE CFORUM appended at 12:06:02 on 97/12/17 GMT (by TSGSH at
GFORD1)
Ref:     Append at 00:37:52 on 97/12/17 GMT (by IL15657 at EHONE7)

So VERIFY NOT dstring can be done with NOT VERIFY dstring MATCH
??

Steve Hayes
IBM Global Services: Network Services EMEA SNA Services, Greenock, UK
TSGSH at GFORD1 / GBIBMT9D at IBMMAIL / ts...@vnet.ibm.com

----- PIPELINE CFORUM appended at 12:43:26 on 97/12/17 GMT (by IL15657
at EHONE7)
Ref:     Append at 12:06:02 on 97/12/17 GMT (by TSGSH at GFORD1)

Yes, MATCH was used as the keyword because of its use in the REXX
Verify() function.  But it's just too confusing, which is why it
has never been documented.  I think Glenn's suggestion is a good
one, especially as there are now several other stages that have
a similar syntax.

Melinda Varian, Princeton University (meli...@princeton.edu)

----- PIPELINE CFORUM appended at 15:43:14 on 97/12/17 GMT (by LPATON at
GNKVM)
Ref:     Append at 12:43:26 on 97/12/17 GMT (by IL15657 at EHONE7)

>> But it's just too confusing,

It sure is.  Intuitively I would expect the opposite of this description..
>> Without the undocumented MATCH keyword, "verify" selects records that
>> contain only the characters in the reference (the argument string).

>> With MATCH specified, "verify" selects records that contain any of
>> the characters in the reference.

Anyway is'nt "VERIFY /ABC/ MATCH" the same as "LOCATE ANYOF /ABC/" ?.

Les Paton (InterNet les_pa...@uk.ibm.com)