On 2021-01-29, at 11:32:46, John P. Hartmann wrote:

> In general, pipes are forgiving and accepts a wider gamut of options than the
> documentation specifies.
>
> The documentation is written to be comprehensible and flowing (in authors'
> argot), if it were to show all possible combinations of options and what not,
> it would, certainly in the case of lookup, be incomprehensible.

I disagree on philosophy.  If a utility accepts undocumented
constructs, both the user and the designer are guessing on the
meaning, and those guesses may disagree.

I consider it more important that constructs be lucid to the
novice than terse for the expert.

VM, CP and probably Pipelines are egregious offenders.  The
syntax and semantics of CP commands vary depending on VM class.

Keywords may be omitted or operands rearranged provided that
the result is unambiguous.  But a novice, following a tersely
keyword-free example may unwittingly supply an operand that
mimics a keyword with astonishing and perhaps harmful effect.

And designers struggle to add new function without invalidating
existing art.

-- gil