(Copied here from an IBM internal discussion because I should have come
here first anyway:)

Anyone have an idiom for deblocking and translating a file in ASCII that
may have either or both of CR and LF (*), and may be split into records,
without unnecessarily buffering the whole file?  The possibility of null
records that I might want to preserve makes this particularly confusing
to think through.

(*) in either order--I know LFCR is rare, but I'm positive I've run into
it on some goofy old system, probably some BBS 30 years ago

  ... | deblock linend 0a | split 0d | ...

was good enough for the application at hand, but I was hoping someone
might already have worked through getting it right.

¬R