Thanks Kris, René, and others for copious input and assistance.

I presented "Pervasive Plumbing - Pipelines for Everyone" last week at the VM Workshop. Turns out that the title was not clear enough. (At least two people would have been interested in the session if they had known that it was *not* another CMS Pipelines talk.) This implementation uses standard Unix/POSIX services to effect controlled flow and multiple streams. It does not require Java. Stages run as ordinary Unix/Linux programs and can be written in any language. Most stages are written in C, but there is a sample stage in Rexx and another in COBOL. (really)

The plan was to release XFL 1.0.0, but I missed a variable when merging some of the logic from development sources to deliverable sources. The effect was that 'pipe' would not handle CMS-style options processing (inside parens instead of dashed like Unix).
That has been corrected, so now XFL 1.0.1 works as intended.
Yes, this Unix program also handles CMS-style options.

The project has gone by several names. Dave Jones suggested "Conduit". XFL is the prefix assigned by IBM.

There are still issues. For one thing, the parsing logic needs to be moved from the 'pipe' command source into the library. Stage start-up needs a better function. (Primary, secondary, and so forth can be unclear with the current start-up function.)

Most significantly, it needs more stages.
There are presently only enough stages to demonstrate that it works.
I have taken a sample from the 300+ stages in CMS Pipelines as "to be implemented real soon now".

You can get the current source from here ...

*http://www.casita.net/pub/xfl/xfl-1.0.1.tar.gz*

It is PGP-signed ...

*http://www.casita.net/pub/xfl/xfl-1.0.1.tar.gz.asc*

The latest source has been built for Linux-s390, Linux-x86_64, Linux-arm, FreeBSD-amd, SunOS-i386 (OpenIndiana), and CYGWIN.
Those builds will be available in the Chicory collection.

"Hello, World!"
XFLPIP086I POSIX Pipelines (XFL) version 1.0.1

The PPT deck was submitted to VM Workshop organizers as PDF and should be available from the workshop web site.
You can also snag it in PowerPoint form ...

*http://www.trothtech.us/pipelines/pervasive-vmws-2024.pptx*

 ... or in LibreOffice "Impress" form ...

*http://www.trothtech.us/pipelines/pervasive-vmws-2024.odp*

-- R; <><