I really don't have any tricks beyond what experienced racers would do:

Freshly scrubbed bottom.
Folding Gori 2 blade racing prop.
Very light #1 cut for air less than 6 knots --very full cut with lots of draft
built into the sail.
Weight to leeward for appropriate heel angle.
Smooth moves of crew.
Minimal and slow tacks.
Clear air.
Try to use my 13500 lbs. of boat to drift thru dead spots.
Luck in choosing which part of the upwind course to sail.
Loosen everything with smooth moves at the weather mark and reverse the process
with smooth moves at the leeward mark.
Smooth jibe at the jibe mark.
About half the usual back stay tension.
Board up for reaching/downwind legs.
Lots of patience and liquids in the 90+ degree windless heat!

Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom
C&C 36 XL/kcb

Sent from my iPad