I've had this disgusting problem a few times and attributed it to someone
over-flushing the head, but I think there's a problem with the head:

After a few days post-pump-out the head has back filled with blackwater
while sailing and once while at anchor.
First few times this happened I chalked it up to a guest over-flushing, got
it pumped and went on my way.

The Jabsco head is 3 years old. The system was completely redone by previous
owner.
It was a very well done job, no mickey mouse stuff on the surface, all new
hoses and recommissioned blackwater tank.
I checked the Jabsco manual and all appears to be piped correctly.

The last trip was the last straw. I had to go below every 10 minutes and
scoop some very disgusting water out of the bowl and pour down sink drain
otherwise it would have overflowed. After a couple of hours of this the
shine wears off, believe me.

So - my plan is to take out the pump/valve assembly and look for a failed
seal.
Should the head discharge hose-to-tank have a check valve in it? I think not
because it would become fouled with solids.
I'm aware of principles of siphoning but short of drawing a diagram I don't
think siphoning is the problem.
I can't think of anything besides a failed seal.

Help!

Steve Hood
S/V Diamond Girl
C&C 34