I have had much the same experience as Sebastien .I have replaced the impellor every 3rd or 4th year in the spring on spec. I winterize with antifreeze each Fall and then pack the impelor with petroleum jelly which helps with the spring startup

On 19/10/2012 9:16 AM, Sébastien Lemieux wrote:
I don't have the experience of Rich but I would also lean in that direction. I've changed mine for the first time this summer after 3 years. The impeller looked in perfect condition (no cracks and blades were as flexible as a new one). I kept the old one as a spare and now feel confident that I will only inspect the impeller every spring.

I've been told by a mechanic that if the raw water circuit is winterized using antifreeze (vs. drained), the impeller holds up very well. Since our impeller spends more than half the year in antifreeze, this might explain the durability!

I also reasoned that since we sail on a lake with no commercial traffic and never solo there is little risk in case I have to face an impeller break down: I have a spare and tools on board, I know how to swap them.

Sébastien Lemieux
Merlot X - C&C 30 mk2 1987
Mooney Bay - Lake Champlain

On Oct 18, 2012, at 21:28, Rich Knowles wrote:

I check mine each season's end when I winterize. If it looks good, it goes back in. I have installed one new one in 15 years and that includes several runs of a few minutes each year without water. They are pretty durable. I check for cracking.

Rich Knowles
Indigo. LF38
Halifax

On 2012-10-18, at 22:04, Martin DeYoung <mdeyo...@deyoungmfg.com <mailto:mdeyo...@deyoungmfg.com>> wrote:

...how often do you guys change the impeller in the raw water
pump?

I change Calypso's 4-108 raw water impeller at the start of each season then put the lightly used old one in the spares box. It is also my practice to check the impeller prior to setting off on a longer trip where a sudden loss of cooling might be inconvenient.

There has been a year or so where I did not change the impeller in the spring and the impeller perform fine with no significant change in appearance.

I change the impeller after each time I forget to open the raw water inlet thru hull valve and allowed the engine to run without cooling water for more than a few minutes.

Martin
Calypso
1970 C&C 43
Seattle