Dwight I was in Lunenburg in May and I was humbled by the monument to those
lost at sea over the last 100+ years.
For those who haven't seen it every soul is listed for every year.
In 1926 for example 43 sailors perished, sometimes 4 or 5 from the same
family. Probably a large percentage of the community in that year.
The tragedy must have been unbelievable. And yet they kept on fishing
because it was their livelihood.

Each year the list gets shorter and shorter until in the late 1990s and
2000s there is one very few years. The last date a soul was lost was 2004.

We can be thankful for the increases in boating safety and the technology we
depend on but we should never forget where we came from and we should never
take even one death for granted. The Bounty sinking was completely
unnecessary no matter how you slice it.

Steve Hood
S/V Diamond Girl
C&C 34