Chuck,

He should check with his insurance company to get some advice even though
he only has liability coverage.  If he knows who insures the clamboat, he
should make a claim and if he gets no satisfaction he can get help from the
state insurance commissioner.  Wish I could give you an answer, but I'm not
an admiralty lawyer, and they are few and far between.  Getting rid of the
debris is probably a good idea just to prevent further damage.

Joel
Sent from my iPad