<insert sound of guy stepping off soapbox>

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1

At 12:30 PM 09/11/2012, you wrote:
How do you clean the lines leading from the tank(s) to the faucetsÂ…doesnÂ’t the same crud that accumulates on the tank walls also accumulate on the inside walls of the plumbing hoses.

I have not cleaned my tanks but I regularly add Javex to the water in them (note that we do not drink water from those tanks and would only do so in an absolute emergency, like lost at sea or something, it is used for washing dishes and showering but not for cooking or brushing teeth. Even if I had washed the tanks I would still not be comfortable with consuming the water in them, too many uncertain sources used to refill. I wonder why you remove the wash solution from the tanks with a Shop Vac, instead of pumping the wash solution through the plumbing lines and out through the faucets, followed by a thorough rinse of the tank and the lines to the faucets with fresh water.

I wonder how many people use water from the boats storage tanks as potable water versus carrying bottle water for drinking, cooking and brushing teeth.

Dwight Veinot
C&C 35 MKII, Alianna
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS

----------
From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Russ & Melody
Sent: November 9, 2012 3:53 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List water tanks.

For water tank cleaning I like a strong bleach solution, say 1/2 cup to gallon of warm water (125mL -> 4 Litres).
   * pour solution into tank and swish/rub all surfaces with cloth or brush
* let soak 5 - 10 minutes and repeat a number of times (while doing other things)
   * remove bleach solution with shop vac
   * rinse with hose and remove water with shop vac
* if over-wintering, I suggest leaving the tank ports open and cover opening with a cotton towel
        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1