Eric - I think it's common for that spar, and always assumed that the mast was designed for a rope luff. A lot of folks have made a cover for the slot to keep the slides in the track. I did this: <http://www.wbryant.com/StellaBoat/Projects/newrig/maintrck/maintrk.htm> Fiberglass turned out to be a little too flexible, though, and I had to tap another couple of screws into the spar.

Wal

Eric Frank wrote:
When I was having measurements taken for a new mainsail, the sailmaker commented that
the sail track on my 1972 CC 35 mk2 begins nearly a foot above the boom. <snip>