Dennis,

I have one on my 1974 35-2, and it is exactly what Rus guesses.  Mounted on the
flat on deck is a horizontal block that leads a line aft to the coach roof just
forward of the cockpit.  I have one on each side of the boat.  One I use for a
spin halyard, the other for the main sheet.  On Cat's Paw, the headliner is cut
and covered, just as Rus suggests, which hides the backing plate and nuts.

Eric
Cat's Paw