I note that you’ve not retorqued the keel bolts in 7 years, and I would
suggest the this probably needs to be done before you try anything else..

My owner’s manuals don’t specify an interval for retorquing, but I try to do
it every two years or so on both boats. The exception is the bolt under the
mast step on my 38, which can only be accessed when the mast is out. That
bolt was retorqued in 2005, and again in 2011 when the boat was rerigged.

If you have a resilient sealer (like 5200) between the keel and the stub,
you will get a tiny bit of side to side motion in the keel when you go
sailing. Over time, the torque on the keel bots can be reduced, lateral
motion can increase, and you end up with the smile, and potentially with
leaks. IMHO, torquing the bolts should be the first step in any cosmetic
attention you give to the exterior of the hull to keel joint. If the yards
that worked on your boat didn’t do this, that might be the reason the
repairs were not successful.

My owner’s manuals (admittedly for boats older than your 35-3) indicate that
C&C originally used thickened epoxy in the layer between keel and stub, and
that the bolt torque would force the sealer into the hole around the keel
bolts. I suspect that the thickened epoxy gave a hard layer of sealant that
in combination with the fairly high torque on the bolts minimized the side
to side motion of the keel.

I guess I have been pretty luck vis-à-vis keel problems on my boats. On
Belle, I fixed the smile the first winter I had her, and have torque the
boats fairly regularly since. No smile when she was hauled for bottom paint
last November – after 14 years or so that I’ve owned her. Imzadi had a
slight smile when hauled for engine work this past summer, but then she has
a layer of 5200 in the keel joint. Maybe it’s time to torque the bolts
again.

Rick Brass

Imzadi -1976 C&C 38 mk1

la Belle Aurore -1975 C&C 25 mk1