From: Russ & Melody <russ...@telus.net>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Outhaul
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2013, 5:08 PM

Hi Joel,

I bet that second line was for a "flattening reef", popular in
the late 80s. An improvement after North Sail's zipper footed main didn't
work out for very long (or was the zipper foot after.. I can't remember
now).

A zipper foot?

Really, I still have an old North mainsail no longer in use with a zipper
along the length of the foot and used to flatten the main.

Anyhow, the cunnigham comes on first.  Next, when more draught needs
to come out of the main, the cunnigham tack & flattening reef
cringles come down to the boom (with the required halyard adjustment)..

Then we're on to regular reefing.

Speed wise these days, with the improvement of mainsail design and
materials, we go from full on cunnigham to first reef.

          Cheers,
Russ

         Sweet
35-1