From: Martin DeYoung <mdeyo...@deyoungmfg.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Handicap review
To: "cnc-list@cnc-list.com" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Date: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 7:17 PM

IIRC correctly bloopers prefer better than light air to be effective. I would
guess 10 TWS and up may be successful.  While I was involved in many odd
blooper configurations I do not recall sheeting it like a headsail.

There is an oft repeated line regarding bloopers (and staysails): They are ½
knot sails, you gain ½ knot when you put it up and you gain ½ knot when you
take it down.

In the 70’s and early 80’s the bloopers were popular in longer down wind legs
and offshore work.  On Transpac and Vic-Maui races we carried a hand crank
sewing machine to fix the light weight bloopers as they often got wet then torn
by a deep roll into a wave crest.  One G. Frers 49 footed I sailed to Hawaii
had a large rudder that allowed us to set up DDW with a smallish 1.5 oz blooper
and put on a contest to see who could dip the pole tip and boom end more times
consecutively.  The off watch complained about something regarding spaghetti on
the sole.

In very light DDW conditions give a poled out headsail on one side and a light
staysail on the other a try.  The non collapsing projected area of the poled
out headsail can be effective against an “elephant ass” shaped spinnaker that
collapses every few minutes.

Martin
Calypso
1970 C&C 43