Since the advice has been so helpful, I am going to move to the next step.
Perhaps this is becoming a group buying decision!  The broker sent me the
survey they had done before taking the boat in trade in September.   Turns out
the surveyor is one of 3 that I contacted about surveying for me and had not
heard back from yet.  I am not sure how this affects my doing a survey, but he
did not do a thermal imaging scan as was recommended by Joanna and David and I
will likely hire one who does, as it seems a worthwhile investment with the
cored hull.  There were a few things in the survey of note:
**1.  There is elevated moisture present in the starboard side deck starting
from the spreacher (??) blocks and running forward for 15”. The deck was
thoroughly sounded and found to be solid. No repairs are necessary at this
time, however the area should be monitored annually with repairs undertaken if
conditions change.

**2.  Both sides of the rudder have voids present between the outer skin and
the core material of the rudder. The areas measure about one foot in width and
about three feet in length. It is recommended to have the rudder repaired in
the off season after it is thoroughly dried.

3.  The engine would not achieve a wide open throttle when the transmission was
put into reverse on several occasions. An inspection of the max propeller was
undertaken with no issues noted in its operation. It is recommended to contact
the propeller and transmission manufacture to find out if what if anything is
out of order.

The second does not surprise me as I had a similar issue with my previous C&C
34 and would request that to be fixed before purchase.  I am not sure what to
make of the first and third.  Comments?  Thanks- Dave

David Knecht, Ph.D.
Professor and Head of Microscopy Facility
U-3125
91 N. Eagleville Rd.
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269