I only have one Tsunami warning experience, in 2011 (the Japan disaster.) People were talking on the VHF non-stop, and most of the chatter was hysterical, redundant, irrelevant, or totally wrong, but it was still worth listening to. At the time I was in a location where I could get cellular internet, so monitored NOAA and Googled constantly. In the Pacific, Hawaii is a great early warning center for seismic events from Asia. When California falls into the sea I might not have enough warning, but that's about as likely as Gibraltar...

The funny thing is that I came close to disaster twice that day.

The first time was when I was the only boat left at anchor, and some idiot nearly hit me while I was drinking my coffee as he came within 3 feet of my boat and shouted "There's a tsunami coming, don't you know? Head for Deep Water!" I think I said something like "Yes, it hit Hawaii 3 hours ago. It will arrive here in another 4 hours, and I'm monitoring the situation. And by the way, I'd appreciate it if you turn your helm to starboard about 30 degrees so that your stern doesn't smash me amidships during your current port maneuver." I'm paraphrasing that last part... I might have said something like "Get the F away from me..."

The second time was when I decided to move. Not because of danger, but because a fishing trawler was *so* ticked off at all the recreational boaters motoring full speed for 1000 fathoms and creating havoc with the fishing lanes, that the captain pulled into the anchorage and set the hook directly upwind of me. He didn't have to -- there was plenty of room -- but I was the only recreational boater left. The smell of dead fish and bird excrement was overpowering. So I figured I'd move, and since it was only an hour away from 'the event' I decided to stand off outside the anchorage in 300 feet of water and do some fishing. Believe it or not, a grey whale surfaced directly under my boat with its entire body between the keel and rudder, and I looked down into the blowhole and got a really good whiff of some really bad breath.

At which point I went back into the anchorage, set the hook in 40 feet, and had a cocktail while waiting for the tsunami. It was a nice wave, but the most interesting thing was the way the currents moved through that bay before and after the wave. I did a quite a few 360s in conflicting directions. Whee.

Wal