From: Stevan Plavsa
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:42 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Reply To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Stus-List Sail Quote - am I delusional?

So I sent my sails in for some sail care with North and they phoned me to tell me that they recommend a new headsail, that the old one isn't worth fixing and that if I wanted to fix it it'll still be a terrible sail and $200 to fix.
Ok, send me a quote I says.

The quote I got, for my C&C 32, is for a plain jane, 140%, dacron, cross cut furling headsail with RF cover and they want $2500 for that. Is this in line with reality? FX sails wants about $1800 for the same thing. Oh, and the $2500 was the north sails direct price, not the "support your local business and get the best support" price.
If this is what it costs then ok, but if this seems high to anyone else tell me where else I should be looking! I'm in Toronto.

And not to get into sail recommendations .. well ok, let me get into it .. I've heard that radial sails are the way to go for headsails these days, whether racing or not, is that true? That radial sails last longer. I'm looking for a cruising sail that's built to last. Of course, I sail a C&C so I want to get the most performance out of my boat that I can, naturally.

Thanks,

Steve
C&C 32 (renaming)
Toronto