I had a local Fastsigns franchise do mine.  If you're design-savvy and can use
some sort of program like Illustrator, you can send them an EPS file, and their
computer-controlled vinyl cutters will give you back exactly what you sent in.

One other trick I used: when I purchased and renamed my boat, I made sure to
use nice, large letters (at least, as big as I could on the pinched IOR
transom…) -- and I outlined each letter in a reflective gold.  Looks nice
during the day; but at night, in a dark anchorage, sweep a flashlight around
and you'll see it in a heartbeat.  Very nice.

Fred Street -- Minneapolis