Just to revisit an thread from six months ago. Check out this picture: <http://www.wbryant.com/temp/badhose.jpg> This isn't my boat, but someone else had head problems and pulled this hose out of the boat. I've never seen it this bad. The hose was 8 years old.

I didn't mention this before -- at the risk of giving out Too Much Information -- but I avoid #1 in the head. (Here's the TMI part....) Being a guy, it's best to just hang it over the side. And when in marinas, I use a big water jug in the head and dump it overboard at night. You'd be amazed at the amount of crystallized minerals at the bottom of the jug after a few iterations.

With women on board, of course, there's a different set of rules, so it's important to flush enough water through the hoses to clear human waste entirely through the hoses and into the tank.

Wal