Richard,

For several years I thought I had a toe rail leak. CC35-II.  Water accumulated
in the port locker under the aft seat of the settee. Turned out it was a leak
in the slides of the hatch cover, where the slides screw into the coach roof.
Rain water would leak down through the screw holes and then run down above the
cabin roof liner over to the port side, then down the hull wall into the seat
locker.  Took that all apart last winter, cleaned things up and reattached it
with the butyl tape the list-serve had recommended for seating deck fittings.
This completely cured water accumulation in the locker.

You can test directly for a leak in the toe rail by heeling the boat over until
the rail is under water.  Then taste the water in the locker for salt.  Oops!
That won't work in Lake Champlain.  But you can see if that increases the water
in the locker.  For me, there was always water after a heavy rain.  Maybe try
hosing down the hatch cover with lots of water?

Eric
Cat's Paw
C&C 35 Mk II
Mattapoisett, MA