From: CnC-List [cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Joel Aronson
[joel.aron...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:59 PM
To: Dennis C.; cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List 35-1 Head door project

Dennis,

How about a shock cord and a couple eye straps to slow down the door before it
whacks the door stop?

Joel
35/3
Annapolis

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Dennis C.
<capt...@yahoo.com<mailto:capt...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
It's always something.

Contrary to the one line drawing, Touche's head door opens forward, i.e., the
hinges are on the aft side.  The door is a rectangular frame with a vertical
member on either side, a horizontal member top and bottom and 2 intermediate
horizontal members equidistant from top and bottom.  Panels of 1/4 teak plywood
are glued to either side to make inside and outside.

Sometimes the door gets away from the user and bangs against the mast.  I
installed a small rubber stop on the mast to prevent damage to the wood on the
door.  Unfortunately, due to the closeness on the stop to the hinge, the weight
of the rest of the door creates a lot of leverage on the hinges and the door
frame.

I previously epoxied and reinforced the door jam where the leverage caused it
to crack.

Now the door has separated.  The inside and outside panels separated from the
frame.  The separation occurred when the vertical frame member on the hinge
side twisted with the leverage.

I have epoxied the panels back to the vertical member.  I have put 3 inch
screws into the 4 horizontal members to prevent twisting.  I located the
intermediate members with a stud finder.  (BTW, if you ever need a stud finder,
buy a Franklin ProSensor 710.  The rest of them don't work 100% of the time.)

Now to eliminate the leverage, I'm installing a commercial dome style floor
mount door stop (Stanley from Lowes) in the headliner at the mast partners.
This will move the stop 3-4 inches further away from the hinges.  Hopefully,
this will prevent recurrence of this issue.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA

CnC-List@cnc-list.com<mailto:CnC-List@cnc-list.com>