> Regarding your over heating problem and intermittent water flow;

I would look onto an acid flush. As a previous long time Atomic Four
owner and lover my first guess would be scale in the coolant passages.
Maybe some broke loose and is floating around in there, too big to pass,
too small to create a complete blockage. A good soak with the right acid
flush could take care of it.

You will be shocked at the gunk that spews out of your exhaust.  I won't
comment on the proper method for flushing this engine, just that it could
work wonders

Just be sure to find out the proper procedure for that engine and follow
all the safety guidelines.

Then maybe it's time to add that heat exchanger?

Good luck!!