Dan,
     You should try the stove you have, in my opinion. If you have experience
with a naphtha camp stove, you will find that the pressure alcohol stove is
quite similar in operation. The main operational difference is that you shut
off the alcohol while the burner is pre-heating, and there is no smoke during
that step. I find that you have to pump the tank a bit more often than with
naphtha.

 As for the other options, the Origo type alcohol stoves are dead simple but
not as hot, and a bit more sensitive to air currents in the boat than other
choices. The flame can come out under the pot and damage the slide that
controls the flame, if you are careless and unlucky with air currents. Lived on
a boat for a month this year that only had one burner working because of that
sort of damage.

 Propane is the next easiest to use from the operator stand point, and has a
hotter flame than alcohol, but installation complexity, cost, and fuel handling
may be an issue. Once installed, it is the hands down first choice for most
people. The safety issues with propane can be dealt with through proper
installation and operation.

 I have no personal experience with diesel cook stoves, but have observed that
they seem to be used mainly by long distance and long term cruisers. You still
have to use alcohol for pre-heat, so there is still at least one other fuel on
board. One couple I know, with a Corbin 39, switched to propane once they
decided their ocean passage making days were over. Anyway I would do a thorough
investigation before considering a diesel cook stove.

 Kerosene is less smelly and sooty than diesel, and might be a choice as well.
My boat is equipped with a Kenyon pressurized alcohol stove, but it appears to
be the same as the kerosene version except for the burners, and maybe only the
jets, I am not sure. I have considered trying it with kerosene just to see if
it will work. Kerosene will give you a hotter flame, but all things considered
I can't see it worth the trouble unless alcohol was hard to get. You still have
to use alcohol for pre-heat in any case.

Steve Thomas
C&C27 MKIII
Port Stanley, ON