I say out with the old and in with the new...
I have struggled on this decision way too long. Given, the age on this
boat. Given the fact the PO left sea water in the block with no anodes
for at least 4 years while is sat on the hook unattended, Given the
fact, I can find no record of maintenance on the boat, I will assume
that the boats engine is in the throws of giving up the ghost because
of lack of care and maintenance.
I will record the whole process, from start to finish. Cost in time,
parts and money. I will show the process and I will complete this DYI
project with ingenuity. I will ask and beg as needed for help as
needed; it is my goal to complete this project under $5,000 dollars.
Below is the old engine, a 1979 built Yanmar 2GM-13 3400 RPM engine
with no telling how many hours as there is no hour meter. I have
installed one now.
I have purchased a mid to late 1980’s 2gm20F 16 Hp at 3400 RPMs.
Step one will be to check the new “to me” engine from e-Bay over real
good to fix or repair anything it may need to be useable, mounts,
hoses, harness, senders stuff like this.
Then I will pull the wiring harness and old Yanmar gauge / start
panel. Next the water lines and thru-hulls taken off and blocked off.
I will then begin the process of pulling the engine. I have the idea
that I can use the main halyard to pull it out. I will temporality
mount a sheave on the boom to help hold the halyard in place. I
disconnect the shaft coupling and the motor mounts wha-la. Ease it out
and swing the boom over to the dock and lower it on a cart. Then I
will do as Mark suggested and clean the whole compartment and install
all new thru hoses all new water lines. I will then install LED’s and
clean and paint with new white paint.
I will keep you posted on the progress. I should have the engine by the weekend.
If there is any advice you think I could use please feel free. I have
never done this and could use all the help I can get.
Here is the old eng “ Notice the pitting in the block and head” and the new…
Thanks again
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel-engine-forum/101423-engine-swap-will-work.html#post1060246