Like Andy, I used iNavX for navigation use - NOAA charts (free) are
available for the US, and I purchased the Navionics charts for Americas
(two subscriptions that were about $16 each (iirc) for North / South
America).  They work well out of range of cell signals (but you need to
ensure your charts are downloaded first - on a WiFi connection if you want
to conserve your data plan).

I use a couple of other apps for the iPad:
Drag Queen - anchor monitor, but did raise some concern from my wife when
she saw the app on my phone
Boat Monitor - anchor watch that can text alarms to your phone if you leave
the iPad on the boat
Marine Traffic - online AIS system (does need data connection)
iRegatta Pro - just playing with this, but it is a pretty good racing app
for starts, laylines, shifts, performance to polars etc
WindAlert / Windfinder - wind forecasts

Tim
Mojito
C&C 35-3