From: Jake Brodersen [mailto:captain_j...@cox.net]
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2013 8:45 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List [SPAM]Re: [SPAM]Re: transmissions in gear
whilesailing

Martin,

You are correct.  The folding propeller is much more sensitive to the
orientation of the pin to ensure the blades fold correctly.  Having a
blade hanging down is probably the equivalent of dragging your foot in
the water.
At 5 knots, this can represent a fair amount of force.  Even with bad
orientation, the blade will eventually be forced to fold, but will still
create some drag.

My shaft is marked so I can easily tell the pin orientation.  The port
locker is empty, except for a boat hook and scrub brush.  I used to
climb in and move the shaft by hand, but lately I just grad the boat
hook and use it to rotate the shaft collar.

Jake

Jake Brodersen
C&C 35 Mk-III
Midnight Mistress