From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Gary Nylander
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:41 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Asymmetrical spinnaker setup on a 30 mk2

On the J-80 I race on, we always hoist the spinnaker from the port side. It is
just easier to do it that way (and most courses are set up for port roundings)
than have someone on the bow of a light boat moving the strings around.

And, on sprit boats, the gybes are on the outside of the forestay - you must
let the chute float out in front and then haul like crazy to bring it all
around. It does go inside of its tack attachment out at the end of the sprit.

Some of the folks with cruising chutes try to bring the chute through outside
of the forestay, but inside of the tack attachment point. That is a lot of
nylon to haul through a rather skinny (maybe a foot?) area. We have enough
trouble getting the thing through the seven feet we have on the sprit boat.

I would put some sort of a block at the top of the mast above or in front of
the internal sheaves, so you can keep the spinnaker from getting tangled in the
other halyards. My 30 has small 'ears' on each front corner of the masthead
casting and that's where the spinnaker halyard block is attached. For that
reason, my spinnaker halyard is external to the mast.

Gary