From: "Dennis C." <capt...@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 02:26:34
To: <sailind...@yahoo.com>; <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Racor dual fuel filter

Friend of mine has one on his Island Packet 485.  If you need one of those
you've got serious fuel issues.

IMHO, I think they're overkill for a small to medium sized engine in a
sailboat.  I think your money is better spent on preventative measures such as
ensuring your fuel is clean and your fuel tank is clean.

Further I think predictive measures like a fuel line vacuum gauge is also good.
 I have one of these on my Racor 500MA.

<http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|2273938&id=549139>

I just changed my filter element this weekend on the way back from Pensacola to
Lake Pontchartrain because the needle was starting to creep up.  Waited until
we stopped for the night to change it.  Last change was many, many hours ago.

If you really want a second fuel filter, you can install a spin-on type with a
couple 3 way valves to supplement a Racor 500 for a lot less $$ than 2 Racor
500's.  If you have a fuel issue, swap the valves to make the spin-on active,
change the element in the 500 and then swap it back.

See:

<http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|311|2349059|2349060&id=133972>

and either
<http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|51|2234261|2234263&id=141847>