From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Wally Bryant
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:45 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List narrow is good

Good on ýa.  When folks look at my foredeck and call it skinny I prefer to say
that I have a ´fine entry.´  <VBG>

Which reminds me of a funny moment sailing into San Diego in 2009.  It was one
of those days when the California fog hit big time.  Visibility was about 30
feet, and I kept turning to starboard to avoid a collision but finally realized
that I was reacting to my own running lights reflected back off the fog. San
Diego harbor is a maze, and was tough to navigate blind.  I was doing fine
until I encountered a huge white light in the middle of the channel.  I sat
there for 30 minutes trying to figure it out (note that I'd been single handing
for 18 hours through shipping channels.)  I didn't want to use the radio, since
CH16 was flooded with lost power boaters calling the Coast Guard, and the
Coasties were laughing on the radio.  ("So, you're tied up to a buoy but don't
know the buoy number?  Dawn is only six hours away...")  I learned later that
the big white light was illuminating a sign pointing toward a fuel dock, but
with 30 foot visibility I didn't know that and really didn't want to get close
to the big white light.  Eventually I worked past the big white light and ended
up in the wrong marina.  I saw an empty slip.  I nailed it perfectly.  No
fenders, no bumps.  The next morning I looked around and realized I had about
four inches of clearance on both sides of the boat.  There was a crowd staring
at my boat.  I said 'nice to meet you, gotta go...'

Wal

--
s/v Stella Blue
www.wbryant.com