From: "Martin DeYoung" <mdeyo...@deyoungmfg.com>
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:30:05 PM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Oil Change - Yanmar 3GMF

I use the vacuum oil sucker on several diesel engines including my Cummins
powered pickup truck (12 qt change).

To remove as much old oil as possible I feed a flexible small diameter suction
tube down the dipstick tube until I feel the bottom of the oil pan. It may take
a few tries to be sure you hit bottom. By comparing the length of the suction
tube used against the dip stick you may be able to confirm you are past any
rough spots and at the bottom of the oil pan.

I also have cut the end of the suction tube at an angle to allow easier
insertion and prevent restriction from a flat surface contact.

Once most of the old oil is out I listen closely as more vacuum/suction is
applied. As I hear the gurgling of the suction tube just above the oil level I
raise and lower the suction tube until more oil is removed. After some practice
on each engine type the process becomes easier and faster.

Because using suction to remove the old oil leaves some in place, I change the
oil only ½ way through the change cycle. (oil and filter once a year, oil only
once a year unless we exceed normal engine hours). If your engine has very
dirty oil it is easy and relatively low cost to change the oil/filter, run the
engine to temp and change the oil again. An occasional double change like that
will help reduce engine contaminates and lengthen the engine’s life.

Martin

Calypso

1971 C&C 43

Seattle