Hi,

I installed a sprit last spring to fly an 83 m2 asym (almost as big as a
regular sym) on my 33 mkII. I had a facnor asym FX to furl the big thing. this
setup was choose to be able to use the sail easily by a crew of two or even
singlehanded.

The on deck bow bracket was fixed with a 6x6 inches x 1/4 aluminum backplate
that is also held in place by the various hardware on deck. the plate covers
most of the area behind the stay and spread the load. I initially planned to
had a turnbuckle attached to the forestay backplate at the bow, but appeared to
be not required.

Went for the selden sprit (aluminum) because it is stronger than the sparcraft
so can be longer. mine is 3 ft of the bow roller.

this setup is expensive but works great. You really need good tension for a
good furl, and you can see the sprit bend a little. I figured the installation
is strong eneough...

the BUT is at the masthead, a crane would be a good addition since i left my
headsail furled and the furler drum is in the way and ads friction or even
blocks the furling of the asym. bringing some "backspin" and twist when its
sets free again. NOT good. There is no problem when racing, we choose to drop
the jib on deck.

We are still learning how to use this new gear to control the unwanted
surprises, but overall my evaluatation is positive and meets my initial
objective to have an easy and fast kit. My girlfriend is more confident each
time we use it and we try to use it as often as we can when cruising and racing.

hope that helps.

Pete, your wheel is still a very nice addition to our boat!

Bruno.