Greetings listers.

As a Georgian Bay sailor, this time of year is always a sad time. The boat
is hauled out, and with it a great sailing season comes to an end.

This summer I purchased a nice old 1980 C&C 30 Mk1 from a fellow in Gore
Bay, on Manitoulin Island. Getting it down to my home port in
Penetanguishene required some decision making. Sail or trailer? (The boat
did come with a tri-axle trailer).

Sailing across the vast (to me) expanse of water was daunting, and my
co-pilot politely said she would not be joining me. Maybe she said it no so
politely. Regardless, I decided to sail and found a partner in crime, a high
school buddy with much chartering experience in Europe. Things worked out
perfectly.

Ray and I left Gore Bay at 6am on a Friday morning and arrived at noon on
Sunday in Penetanguishene. We had perfect weather, some breeze, some dead
calm; we were attacked by hungry deer flies at one point Saturday afternoon
as weather warmed up. We were the only boat in the middle of Georgian Bay on
Saturday, until we dropped anchor at Beckwith Island. That was a lonely
feeling.

The whole experience was a fantastic one, and I couldn't resist making a
short movie about the trip. The movie was made using Movie Maker software
(Microsoft).

The photos were taken with either a Canon EOS T3, Olympus point and shoot,
or my iPhone. I shot the video with my little Olympus on a RAM mount
attached to the dodger hand rail. (Not HD unfortunately)

Clearly the best part of the video is the music. Play it loud and enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0QMFxa-Aw

Go easy on my movie making skills, this is my first stab at it.

C&C relevance: at Club Island we anchored beside what looks like a beautiful
C&C 32. I'll let the aficionado's debate the model.

Hopefully the Great Lakes sailors will re-live some of last summer.

Peter Delean

Drifter II

C&C 30 Mk1