Fred — can you get me the model number of the linear drive in your boat (I’m
assuming it’s linear…)?  Specs on the website show the displacement of the
C&C44 at 20,000 lbs; the drive you’ve got will determine whether you’ll need
the Raymarine ACU-200 or ACU-400 course computer.  The Type 1 drives (which
would require the ACU-200) are generally rated to 24,000 lbs displacement,
which is right on the edge for your boat; if you have a Type 2, you’ll need the
more powerful ACU-400 to drive it.

The control head in either case will be the p70; that and the heading sensor
connect to the ACU via SeaTalkNG (Raymarine’s NMEA2000 variant), so some
SeaTalk cabling will be needed.

You should be able to reuse the cabling you have now between the course
computer and the drive, as well as the power supply from the breaker panel to
the course computer.  You’ll need to change the cabling between the computer
and the control head, and extend that SeatalkNG bus to the heading sensor.
Overall, it would be a pretty simple change-out.

Does your autopilot system currently connect to any other instruments via
SeaTalk?

I’ll try to get you contact info on the repair guy next week.

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis