If this is confession time.. I have very old wire&rope jib halyards. They are so old that the rope is 3-strand. In my defence the wire goes thrice around the winch so the rope doesn't see any real loading.

On Amazing Grace, a custom 45, we changed back to wire&rope after too many cover failures due to slippage in the clutch and the load transferring to the cover. It was cheaper than going to new clutches :)

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1

At 01:34 PM 03/12/2013, you wrote:

Calypso still has its wire reel main halyard winch. I recently purchased a donor winch for parts to replace one of the low speed gears. I'm even thinking of having the casing re-chromed to spruce it up.

Much of the fear and loathing associated with the wire reel winches comes from safely handling high halyard loads. We reduced the loads significantly by installing a Harken Batt Car system. Raising, lowering and reefing the main are all more easily accomplished with the lower halyard loads.

We also kept the wire to rope headsail halyards owing to the wires tolerance to long exposure of heavy #1 type loads. I figure saving a few pounds of weight 67' off the deck has a minimal effect on a 24,000 lb. boat compared to the risk of an un-timely halyard failure while sailing shorthanded.

Martin
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle
From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Jimmy Kelly
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 12:20 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Stus-List wire halyards

dwight is right on the mark re wire halyards sounds like his boat was set up correctly probably by c&c custom rigger in oakville plant...many c&c 35 mk1s out on west coast still using wire reel main halyard winches...especially the ones winning many races...i do not recommend them but certainly do the job...however wire still appears to do the job.best