If all you want is to keep your batteries topped off in the short term have
a look at solar. I outfitted my boat with an 80watt panel mounted above the
bimini for about $350. $100 of that was for SS fittings. Solar is perfect
for the "top off" 3rd stage of charging. If you're going cruising solar is
something you'll be able to use then too. I'm on a mooring so no shore
power. I sail on weekends with a few cruises in the summer and the solar
has worked out great so far.

Best advise so far is to invest in Nigel Calder's book .. I have his and
Don Casey's books and for me, they're both great. I love this mailing list
and I think the people here are super helpful and knowledgeable but there's
nothing that you'll learn here about electrical systems on boats that you
won't learn from either of those guys' books ... plus their books are full
of all sorts of valuable information on all the boat systems you're likely
going to have to replace, install or maintain prior to, and during that
cruise. A good investment.

Steve
Suhana, C&C 32
Toronto