I seem to recall reading a testimonial that the Isotherm SP units will cool
even with the boat on the hard.  Tells me that jellyfish might not be an issue.
 What's the heat transfer coefficient for a jellyfish, anyway?

I looked hard at the heat rejection issue because the water temperature on the
bayou where I keep Touche' can exceed 85 F at times.  I'm thinking the
refrigerant is 220-250 F in the heat transfer coil in the thruhull.  That's
quite a bit of temperature differential for heat rejection.

I like the idea of no cooling fan or cooling water pump for both energy and
reliability.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA

>________________________________

wet cell batteries, 330 AH total capacity.  They barely fit into the well
under the aft cabin bunk.  The were strapped in, but I couldn't get the
battery box tops on and secured.  Topping off the center cells was a
bear.  After the lightning strike, I replaced them with AGMs which were
lighter and shorter which facilitated getting the bunk baseboard to fit level
in
its inset.

>BTW, one of my concerns with the reefer was the water cooling issue.
I see those jellyfish in the water and I wondered if the SP action would suck
them in.  Glad to see my concerns were well founded.

>Allen Miles
>S/V Septima   30-2
>Hampton, VA

30.  It's air cooled, and I've had no problems with it in the 10+ years
I've owned Siren Song.
>It was installed by PO.
>It is located
under the port settee, directly in front of the galley sink.  It's vented
on the right just above sole.
>Because it's air-cooled, it probably
adds to the cabin temps, but I don't think it's material.
>I'll
freeze a gallon jug of H20, put it in the box, and turn on the frig.  This
gets everything cold quickly without a lot of melting ice.

>FWIW,  a cruising friend of mine has a water-cooled unit
[Grunnert, I think].  While the unit does a really good job, we had lots of
problems this past season with blockages mainly due to jellyfish ["the
cockroach
of the Chesapeake!].

>So, I'd go with air cooled unit.
>As
far as ampacity, I have 2 house batteries, and 1 start batt., but it's
probably 50% of your capacity.   I usually leave it "off"
unless I'm plugged in, or motoring.
>I'm curious what brand of
battery you have, and did you have to modify the aft cabin space??
I'd like to increase my amps.

>Pete Winters
>
>s/v Siren
Song