Hi Jim,
Welcome to the list.

I'm sure you're getting a sense of the protocols here. Basically, just blurt it out and if you hurt someone's sensibilities then that just becomes a good opportunity for another discussion. It is winter, after all.

Regarding your leaking port... is it a small hole in the rudder log and above the static waterline? As in, does it only leak when you're underway? Many C&Cs of the old days had a zerk grease fitting near the top rudder log, hopefully above the waterline. When I found mine it was a pile of rust and obviously leaked underway. I replaced it with built-up S/S pipe fittings & epoxy and placed a spring loaded greaser atop the fittings. I service this thing every few years, when I remember it being there. Part of the system on my boat also has a shaft collar (replaced with S/S) & washer which takes the small weight of the rudder assembly and loads it atop the rudder shaft log. This has the effect of containing the grease which also provides the seal for this area. Elegant, if I may say so.

The upper rudder shaft bearing on the 35 is much higher than the gear I described above. I mention this because shaft lubrication & sealing and upper support may be different items on your boat as well.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1